Online Music Tools
Online Music Creation Tools
Music Notation Software
- Noteflight. Noteflight premiered in 2007 as the first online music notation platform. Users can get a free account with basic functionality and up to 10 free files. Purchasing an upgrade to Noteflight Crescendo provides unlimited scores and higher functionality. Teachers can sign up for inexpensive Notefligth Classroom accounts that provides Noteflight Crescendo in a closed, managed community that’s perfect for schools. https://www.noteflight.com/login
- Flat. Flat is a strong competitor in the online music notation space. It's ease of use and education features are unparalleled. Free and inexpensive single-user accounts are offered, as well as a secure, robust Flat for Education platform. Key to Flat's advantages are worksheet and quiz creation tools, and the ability to "lock" template scores. With these tools, teachers can simplify the interface, or ensure that students create within the parameters of a given assignment. https://flat.io/
- Soundation. Soundation is an online music recording and sequencing program. The free version is limited and all work is public. Schools and individuals can upgrade to Soundation4Education to keep work private and add more functionality. https://soundation.com/
- Bandlab. Bandlab offers powerful free and education-friendly music making on any device. Royalty free-sounds and loops, social networking, collaboration, and easy music release/publishing make Bandlab a compelling option for personal or school use. https://www.bandlab.com/
- Soundtrap. Free, online, powerful DAW. Make music COLLABORATIVELY on the web for free, with affordable accounts, or the secure Soundtrap EDU. https://www.soundtrap.com/
- Audiotool. Online DAW with collaboration & publishing, plus synthesis and audio engineering? Yes please! Free, but registration required. Exceptionally good tool for older students and independent users. https://www.audiotool.com/
- Groove Pizza. Make music online using math concepts like shapes, angles and patterns. https://musedlab.org/groovepizza
- Splice Beatmaker. This online beat builder comes free with great sound samples and an engaging visual interface. If sounds do not load & play, try a different browser. splice.com/sounds/beatmaker
- Monkey Machine. A free, simple, reliable interface for constructing beats in 4/4 time. Users can download beats as MIDI fro import into virtually any other program. Easy enough for primary grades, and robust enough for high school and beyond! http://www.rinki.net/pekka/monkey/
- aQWERTTYon. This interface works through web MIDI, and allows music control & input into almost every DAW with a standard computer keyboard. It works with software and with other free tools like Soundtrap and Noteflight!
- Epic Online Orchestra. Create engaging harmonies and progressions, and export as audio or MIDI into the program of your choice. Robust and totally free. https://epiconlineorchestra.com/
Music Learning Resources
- MusicTheory.net. This is a leading resource for music educators, with built in lessons and practice activities. The site allows 100% customization of exercises and has a companion app (Tenuto) www.musictheory.net/
- Teoria.com. Music theory learning and practice website with even higher-level activities than musictheory.net. www.teoria.com/
- Musicca.com. Beautifully designed, user-friendly music theory in a wide variety of languages. https://www.musicca.com/
- iZotope. Audio skills learning environment/game. http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/05/learn-audio-skills-as-a-game-free-with-your-ears-as-guide/
- Dolmetsch Music Dictionary. When you need a definition, recorder music, or info about a musical instrument or topic, this is a great starting place! http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheorydefs.htm
Copyright 2021. Music Tech Toolbox and Marjorie LoPresti.
All rights reserved.
The ideas and opinions presented on this website are intended for consideration only.
Visitors should test all websites, software, and products for function and suitability.